Sunday, March 6, 2011

Inspiration in Rediscovery


Just when all seemed lost, Edward Gorey saved the day. 

Hello again! It's been a while since I've been here. Nearly two months?!?! I have been in a deep deep hole of lack of inspriation, motivation, and yes, basically depression. Perhaps I can admit here that spring is my least favorite season. Perhaps I can even go a little further and say I kind of hate it. One day it's sunny, one day it's raining; I never know if I'm going to be uncomfortably warm or shivering by lunch. Should I have brought sunglasses or gloves? Spring does not inspire me. Ever since childhood I remember counting February as my very least favorite month.


This combined with what feels like endless sickness, job depression, and lack of creative drive has left me feeling quite down. I was constantly considering retiring this blog altogether, but decided just to wait a bit longer and see how things went.


I'm so glad I did, because just this morning my very awesome little brother sent me an article from the Seattle Times titled Edward Gorey's Sensibility is Growing Like Nightshade. Somehow this is exactly what I needed to shake me up a bit. It reminded me of some of those things that truly delight and inspire.
Admittedly, I sometimes find it depressing when things I love and hold dear are suddenly "mainstream". I can't help but feel it steals away a little of the magic these things hold for me. However, for some reason, this article didn't leave me feeling this way. Instead, for whatever reason, I simply feel inspired in a way I haven't been in quite some time. I am ready to start creating again; hopefully to contribute something both unique, but also reflective of who I am in combination with things that have collectively influenced and inspired me.


"Told in verse and illustrated in a style that crosses Surrealism with the Victorian true-crime gazette, Gorey stories are set in some unmistakably British place, in a time that is vaguely Victorian, Edwardian and Jazz Age all at once. Though Gorey was a 20th-century American, he conjured a world of gramophones and cars that start with cranks, of boater-hatted men in Eton collars knocking croquet balls across the lawn while sloe-eyed vamps in cloches look on, and sinister things sink, bubbling, into the reflecting pond." {excerpt}
 
 
  "Opinions differ about why Gorey — whose name increasingly serves as shorthand for a postmodern twist on the gothic that crosses irony, high camp and black comedy — is casting a longer shadow these days. Handler attributes Gorey's growing popularity partly to the sophisticated understatement of his hand-cranked world, a sensibility that stands out sharply against the exuberant vulgarity of our age of jeggings, "Bridalplasty" and "Jackass 3D." "That worldview — that a well-timed scathing remark might shame an uncouth person into acting better — seems worthy to me," Handler said." {excerpt}
 
 
 
Where do you find your inspiration? 
 
{All images are the artwork of Edward Gorey. Italicized text excerpts are via The Seattle Times}

5 comments:

Lisa said...

Just today I was in my powder room looking at the things on the walls and thinking it was time for a shake up and trying to remember what it was that I had thought to do with it a while ago. And now I remember--it was Gorey as inspired by you. I'm going to have to find a few cards or prints and get them framed.

TheBlakkDuchess said...

I find my inspiration from all over the place. From some dark, secret space somewhere inside myself, from my favorite bloggers that follow. From Nature around me & above & below, from books & art & times long ago. From a time & place that was not (but should have been), with it's gears & steam & copper gleaming. From the internet & from my cats and music, whether song or dance...

I've missed you & I'm glad you're back!

XOXO

Gypsea Tree {Steam Spectre} said...

Lisa: Yes! I love the Gorey powder room idea! I hope there will be pictures if you do it!

@duchess: Yes, yes, and yes! Inspiration indeed. And thank you! It's so nice to post here again!

Missantrhopics said...

Well I'm glad you've been able to find your way back to motivation and creative inspiration! I love the things you blog about and I would be very sad to see you stop!

Róisín said...

Sorry to hear you've been down in the dumps, I can really relate to what your wrote there. I also totally agree about spring being the most depressing season and it sounds (as usual!) like you get exactly the same type of weather as us. Anway, I'm delighted your brother sent you that article! I forgot to say in my email but I loved the card you sent me too - and I had a right wee smile to myself reading this post! My sister's a big fan of Gorey and she was all excited when she seen the card. I'd only ever seen some of his work but she went on and on about him that day! You know, I sometimes like to write stories and there's been one in my head for a while now and it's weird because looking at these is like looking at the world I've been imagining. I've been meaning to get back to writing for ages and I think this post might've been the spur I needed to do it. So thank you so much!

Well, I hope you're feeling cheerier today my friend and remember - it's only about five or six months till Autumn again!